It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:30 pm 
O3-12
O3-12

I ordered a carburetor rebuild kit from my local Advance Auto today. I have a Carter YF (4496S - probably off a late-sixties Ford truck) with a manual choke that I’m planning to rebuild and swap onto my engine. The current carburetor is another YF with a heat choke that is hooked up to the manual-choke cable from the OE Holley.

At the same time, I’m planning to install the hot-water plate from the ‘65 Mustang engine I purchased. Hopefully the rebuilt carburetor and the hot-water plate will improve my driveability and fuel economy.

-Dave

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:07 am 
O3-12
O3-12

I used the “Speedbox” iPhone application to check my speedometer error on the drive into work today. It’s worse than I thought. Based on an informal odometer calculation, I figured it read about 9% high, but in fact I’m running 35 miles per hour at 40 indicated; and 48 at 55 indicated; and 60 at 70 indicated, which averages out to a reading of about 15.2% high.

That means I’ve been driving a lot slower than I thought, and am probably more in need of an overdrive than I realized - even with the taller-than-stock tires.

-Dave

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:21 am 
O6-18
O6-18

Dave,

Our 61 went the other way after we changed the 3.56 gears to 3.10. We are reading 10 mph lower. Our tires are the 24.7" diameter that is close to stock height. We confirmed ours with a Garmin. So our speedo with a 18 tooth gear is reading 50 mph, but we are going 60 mph. I need to change the speedo gear to a 16 eventually, if I want improved speedo accuracy.

I think a tach helps to determine what the engine is turning at a given speed. Once I know what speed I am going, I drive with a tach more then the speedo. I have a personal rpm limit for normal driving, regardless of the mph. I limit the steady rpm cruising to 2800 max with a six. Ideally I would like to be at 2100-2200 rpm at 55-60 mph. That is the rpm I get the best economy.

Terry L. Rahn

http://members.fotki.com/tlr41552/about/

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 12:54 pm 
O3-12
O3-12

I purchased an Econoline bellhousing today on eBay. The buy-it-now plus shipping was less than I'd have been willing to pay, so I figure both the seller and I got a good deal.

This hopefully will open up my transmission options a bit - either something with the Toploader bolt pattern or an adapter with the Muncie bolt pattern. I'll just be watching Craigslist for the right deal on an overdrive locally.

Currently, I'm waiting to hear back from the welder that the vent has been welded into my gas tank. I also have the radio out for restoration and the addition of an aux jack. This should all make the car quite a bit more pleasurable to drive.

-Dave

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:30 am 
O3-12
O3-12

David Conwill wrote:
I'll just be watching Craigslist for the right deal on an overdrive locally.

Last night I picked up a Borg-Warner T86 with R10 overdrive from a '57 Ranchero. The seller promised to dig through the parts he stripped off the car (he built a street rod) and get me the kickdown switch and the lockout cable. This transmission will bolt to my Econoline bellhousing and should give me not only overdrive gears on second and third, but the ability to downshift into first while rolling under 21 mph. All this while keeping my column shifter.

I'm very excited. Still trying to puzzle out what gear ratio will work best with it. Standard rear gears on full size cars with this transmission were 4.11, but that seems like overkill on the lighweight Falcon.

-Dave

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:53 am 
O6-18
O6-18

David,

If the 61 still has the originl ger ratio of 3.50, that will work nicely with an OD tranny. I have had 3 later model Ford products with OD and the ratio was 3.55.

Terry L. Rahn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:53 am 
O3-12
O3-12

My car decodes to a 3.10 gear ratio, although I haven't counted gear teeth and the axle tag itself is nearly illegible. Do you know the percentage of overdrive on those later Fords, Terry? The '57 transmission I purchased has a rather steep 30% reduction, which I figure will require somewhat deep gears.

Meanwhile, I think I've discovered some inspiration for my gearing: The Hudson Jet, an unfortunately styled car that still embodied the engineering excellence of the rest of the Hudson line offered an overdrive behind its up-to-112hp 202ci I6. On the Jet, 4.27 gears were standard with overdrive and 4.10 optional.

I also learned that NAPA still lists a 12V Overdrive Solenoid under part number ECH OD6284, which interestingly cross references to the ‘60-‘61 Falcon as well as the ‘57 Ford from which my transmission came. I wonder if overdrive was maybe a fleet option? The only claim I’ve heard to an overdriven Falcon was from a fellow who said he’d driven a ‘63 company car with it.

-Dave

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:39 am 
O6-18
O6-18

David,

Your 61 was probably a 3 speed manual model, as the 3.10 was common with that tranny. So that would have to be changed with a OD tranny.

I never have done any research on the OD trannies used in the 50's. I would think the bellhousing to fit them would be an issue. The 61 never had any mention of the OD as an option. In 63 the Falcon had a V8, so it is quite possible and very likely the OD 3 speed tranny was used as an option. That year tranny was used behind the 289 base engine in the full size and the optional 289 in the 63 Fairlane. Since those are 5 bolt bellhousing pattern, I can see that used in a 260 in the Falcon in 63. The lowly small six, does not have many tranny options when new, and in later years, that are a direct fit. The Econo if a early model 61 to 63, did have the 4 speed behind a 144, but I have never seen one and it was column shift with very long shift rods. If that bellhousing bolts up the six, that is a start. I have no idea what the bolt pattern was for that 4 speed or any other tranny that may fit. I never research manual trannies. I just pull them and replace with an automatic.

The Jet was a pretty nice vehicle, although a little small for most people at the time. My Dad worked at a Hudson Garage as a bodyman, and has always favored the Hudson bodies for quality, fit, and finish. When Hudson, Kaiser-Frazer, and Studebaker came to an end, he switch to the next best body, Fisher bodies and stayed with those until he could no longer work as a bodyman in 67. It is quite common to find the earlier model vehicles with the low compression, low hp engines to have a steep rear gear. They needed that to get moving. Even the 39-40 Lincoln Zephyr Had a somewhat low hp with the V12 and had the OD tranny plus a Columbia 2 speed rear end.

The Falcon as originally designed, was just a commuter vehicle. No highway, and mostly city driving. There were virtually no freeways as we know them today. The 60 was the most highway challenged with the 3.56 and 3.89 gear ratios. At least 61 had some improvement in the gearing. The Econo in 61 had only the 144, with steep rear gears. The optional 4 speed, I do not know if was a 1:1 final drive or if it was a OD. If a friend stops by, I can have him check his 61 Econo manual to see if there is any info. There would still need to be some shift linkage fabrication to get it to work in the Falcon.

Terry L. Rahn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:49 am 
O3-12
O3-12

It happens I’m using a C3-coded Econoline bellhousing for this swap. It has the same transmission pattern as the Ford full-size cars from 1949 to 1964, but the engine pattern of the 1960-1965 Thriftpower Six. The T86/R10 should bolt right up to it, though it might require a spacer to get the input shaft in the right place.

Based on my research, I believe the column-shifted four-speed manual used in Econolines was the Dagenham, which has a unique transmission pattern itself. I’m not aware of what transmission Ford bolted to my bellhousing originally, but it may have been a T86 or T85 for durability. I am not sure if the overdrive versions of those transmissions were available in the Econoline or not. I have seen references to the Econoline transmission as being a 3.03 (Ford-design Toploader) 3-speed, but I don’t think that was the case, as most resources have that transmission being introduced in 1964. The top-loaded Borg-Warner T85 and T86 do resemble that transmission at a glance, though.

I was aware of the Fairlane V8 overdrive option, which used the T86/R10, but I am fairly confident that what I read indicated the ‘63 Falcon in question was a six cylinder. I’ll go back and see if I can dig it up. It was posted either on here or on Fordsix.com.

-Dave

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:55 am 
O3-12
O3-12

Found it! It was on Fordsix Performance:

Thad wrote:
Once had a company car, '63 Falcon six, 3spd with overdrive. Electric engaged for cruising, when pedal to the metal to pass automatically dis-engaged.
Sometimes when wanting to increase speed a little the additional movement of pedal would cause it to dis-engage.
That was the only problem, probably an adjustment of switch

I PM'd him to see if he knows anymore details.

-Dave

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:10 am 
O6-18
O6-18

David,

My friends 61 Econo pickup had the 2.77 behind the 144, and the rear gear was 4.00:1.

I know the 223 had the OD tranny, as a friends Dad has a 64 Ford pickup with that combo. I never have read or heard of an OD tranny behind the small 144/170 six though. Since a person could get anything they wanted in that era, it is entirely possible to have had a column shift OD tranny. I remember the 65 Econo had the 240 six and later the 300, but have not read of the 223 being used.

It would be interesting to have additional info on a 63 with the 6 and an OD tranny. That would be an unusual find if factory stock.

Terry L. Rahn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:16 am 
O5-16
O5-16

The O/D setups I've seen pictures of weren't exactly small so I am curious to see if one fits in the Falcon tunnel without modifications.

Ken

If I can't fix it it's junk - throw it away.
I don't take any s@#* from machines!
The day you stop learning is the day you start getting left behind.
Sometimes you just have to pay for cool.
Nothing is fool proof because fools are so ingenious.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:07 pm 
O3-12
O3-12

Terry L. Rahn wrote:
David,

My friends 61 Econo pickup had the 2.77 behind the 144, and the rear gear was 4.00:1.

I know the 223 had the OD tranny, as a friends Dad has a 64 Ford pickup with that combo. I never have read or heard of an OD tranny behind the small 144/170 six though.

My T86 is from behind a 223 as well. I think that was a pretty popular combination with thrifty folk. The combination of the small six and the overdrive is something I’ve never encountered, either, except in the above quote and the NAPA catalog listing.

Quote:
Since a person could get anything they wanted in that era, it is entirely possible to have had a column shift OD tranny. I remember the 65 Econo had the 240 six and later the 300, but have not read of the 223 being used.

It would be interesting to have additional info on a 63 with the 6 and an OD tranny. That would be an unusual find if factory stock.

Terry L. Rahn

As far as I know, all or the vast majority of the overdrives offered in Fords from 1949 to 1972 were column shifted. The only exception might be in Thunderbirds. But the overdrives in this era weren’t four speeds, they were three speeds. I believe the Econoline four speed was likewise not an overdrive.

I think confusion may arise because of the later “imposter Toploader” Orion overdrives and SRODs which bridged the gap between the Borg-Warner overdrives of the 1950s and ‘60s and the 5-speeds of the ‘80s and ‘90s, which were conventionally shifted 4-speed transmissions where third gear was 1:1 and fourth gear was an overdrive. This article does a really excellent job of explaining what I think of as a “fifties style” overdrive.

I knew the Econoline was offered with the 240 and the 300, but I am unaware of any that came with the 223. I’m inclined to think they did not, and that before the 240 debuted in 1965, they all used the Falcon six.

The reason I lean toward fleet orders is because that’s where the factory really bent over backward to please the customer. It’s entirely possible that while you and I couldn’t walk onto a lot in 1963 and spec out a 170 Falcon with overdrive that a fleet buyer could do so. Kind of like the famous COPO cars produced by General Motors later in the decade that got around “impossible” combinations like 427 V8s in mid-size and pony cars.

Stashua wrote:
The O/D setups I've seen pictures of weren't exactly small so I am curious to see if one fits in the Falcon tunnel without modifications.

Ken

That is the other factor that makes a ‘63 Falcon with overdrive more plausible than a ‘60 to ‘62. Not only did the Econoline bellhousing then exist (it has a C3 code), but the transmission tunnel had already been enlarged to accommodate V8 transmissions.

I PM’d the fellow who posted about the ‘63, and he appears to still be an active member over there. So we’ll see what he’s got to say.

-Dave

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:12 am 
O3-12
O3-12

Well, I got a reply, and the gentleman thinks it wasn't just a fleet option, but one available to the general public:

Thad wrote:
It was in an oil field service company vehicle. The manual 3 spd w/overdrive trans was also available to public non-commercial just had to order when buying at dealer. Were common mid '40s-'60s not just Ford but other makes as well.

I'd love to be able to find some documentation on this.

-Dave

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:28 am 
O6-18
O6-18

David,

Since anything was possible to get as an option, I do not rule anything out completely. If there is such a Falcon option, I have yet to see it, or read of it. So this would be new info. Given the size of that tranny, and related bellhousing, makes me wonder how it was fitted to the unique small six bellhousing bolt pattern on the block. The small 5 bolt V8 I can see as an option and know it was used. There is a guy here that has a 63 Galaxie with that tranny, plus he has been collecting that tranny for several years. I was told that he has at least a dozen of them with no intention to sell.

I have run across anomolies over the years myself. In a junkyard northwest of the Memphis area in 71, there was a 62 Falcon with a L engine code, and again I saw one in California about 73. There is no record or info that those were ever made or ordered. I did not know that back then. All I knew was that I was thinking of a V8 for my 61, and the 221 was too small of cubes. Then there was a 61 Deluxe sedan delivery that a friend in service had, which his grandpa special ordered and gave to him. It was white with red interior. The unusual part was the interior was the bucket seat Futura trim, padded dash, and factory carpet in the front and the vinyl floor covering in the rear. The sides were finished also. I did want that one when he put it up for sale and was transferring. He drove it from California to NAS Memphis with the 170/FM2, and had no problems. He wanted $300, but when I was getting $78 every two weeks, that was a fortune. Those are the standouts in my memory, but there has been others I have run across. Just not the OD 3 speed tranny yet.

Terry L. Rahn

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next