Fair 22%  22%  [ 14 ]
Poor 13%  13%  [ 8 ]
Lousy! 5%  5%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 63
 Post subject: Re: Dearborn Classics
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:55 pm 
O2-12
O2-12

I ordered some door hinge pin kits back in May and received them in two shipments. It was paid by Pay Pal in May. Well I got an email today, August 6th, saying that they have received my order and it would be shipped shortly and charged to my email account. I don't understand how this happened since I recieved the shipment in May but it did. I emailed them today and explained it all to them but haven't heard anything. Caused me a little trouble because I had to check my Pay Pal account to see if it had been paid. They probably lost a customer.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:24 pm 
O2-12
O2-12

I got a return email from Dearborn and they apologized and said that they were having trouble with the internet and for me to disregard the email. I hope that clears it up. The response was fairly quick but I have never been charged twice for something that I paid for 3 months earlier.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:28 am 
O11-16
O11-16

I have had a terrible experience with the "new" Dearborn in Florida. They completely messed up my order, didn't have a clue about what I was ordering and took a long time just to refund what was due me. I. Their order takers do not know anything about Falcons, they just enter parts numbers into an order form. If Dearborn has the part number or part description wrong you will get the wrong part number.

In short, I urge you to avoid them in favor of other vendors like Mac's, Melvin's and others.

Steve Tontz
Long Beach,CA

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:20 am 
O15-15
O15-15

I just rated my experience with Dearborn Classics as poor. Why? Because the item I ordered was not specifically as described on their website. I received my order Friday afternoon.

I deliberately ordered from Dearborn because they advertise cloth windlace to be AS ORIGINAL and it is not. The item description from the web page states:

"Reproduction Of Original
Sold By The Foot
Select From The Color Options Available

Dearborn Classics offers authentic factory style windlace in both cloth style and snap on type vinyl windlace for your classic Ford. Cloth style was used in 1959 through 1965 vehicles and FEATURES ORIGINAL 1/2 INCH SPONGE ROD CORE WITH KRAFT PAPER ATTACHING EDGE AS ORIGINAL WITH CORRECT WOVEN CLOTH IN ORIGINAL COLORS. Vinyl snap-on type windlace is also available in most original colors with correct textured grain. Windlace is sold by the foot, cut to length, and is non-returnable. Length varies for each body style, please measure your application length prior to ordering."

What I received had NO kraft paper attaching edge as original AND the foam (not sponge) core was only 3/8" in diameter AND the weave is incorrect. My order was not filled by Dearborn Classics, instead it came form MAC's Antique Auto Parts.

Friday evening I sent an email through the contact page on Dearborn's website complaining that the item I received was not as advertised. I received a reply this morning from Ecklers stating:

"Mr. xxxxx,

We are Ecklers family of Automotive. We supply parts for many care lines.

http://www.ecklersautomotive.com/

February of 2013 we acquired MACS antiques. I am sorry to hear about your dissatisfaction in regards to the windlace. This part is non-returnable due to the fact that it is cut to requested length when ordered.

However I will note your account that due to your dissatisfaction we will accept this back for credit. I have include instructions below on how to return this.

Our return policy is as follows:

Restocking Fees: 0-30 days (no fee) 31-75 days (10%)76-180 days (25%) over 180 days no return.

as long as the item was not modified, it should be fine. You can fill out the back of your invoice to return, if there are any circumstance , just add that to the description, or you can add another piece of paper for you explanation.

You can also contact us at 1-800-327-4868.

If you do not have a copy of your invoice you can follow the instructions below:

1. At the top of any of our websites, click on order tracking
2. In the left block where it says order number, type in the order number that you want the invoice for
3. Underneath that, where it says billing zip code type in the billing zip code
4. Click on look up order
5. From here you can print out your invoice.

If you are needing the back of the invoice to send something back, you can simply put your
Name
Customer Number
Order Number
Reason they are sending back
Refund/ credit or exchange

You can write this on a piece of paper and send it back with the part."

Nice, they are going to accept my non-returnable item due to my dissatisfaction, not because of their deceptive description. At least they won't charge me a restocking fee in addition to me paying return shipping. :roll:

Beware when doing business with Dearborn/MAC's/Ecklers. They will NOT get repeat business from me. :evil:

ASE Re-Certified Master Collision & Refinishing Technician

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:49 pm 
O9-15
O9-15

So they took the windlace back with no restocking fees? Not sure I understand the poor rating, what else could they do? I find that the 3/8" foam core works better than the 1/2" because the door panel will often beat the bigger stuff out of the clips, especially on a hardtop at the rear of the doors. Drop shipping from other vendors is common these days because of the expense of stocking a big selection of items, but the vendor you buy from takes the responsibility if something is wrong.

I have actually had a better experience with Eckler's Dearborn than I had with regular Dearborn when I wrote the first review in '08. Very nice on the phone, order was filled accurately, parts OK (taking into account that precious few repro parts are nearly as good as OEM) and fast shipping.

-MJS

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:09 am 
O5-15
O5-15

i worked with them alot when I first took my car out of storage after 30 years, and the service I got was iffy at best.
My interior is stock red from 63; the color they sent was more maroon and though the fit was excellent, the color was off.

As mentioned by others in this survey, they make some parts exclusively and the quality just isn't there.
The arm rests I bought from them were 2 different colors and didn'f fit my stainless trim properly (I returned them); the interior screw set I bought from them for my 63 convertible was marked 1964 and contained mostly screws I didnt need or couldn't use. They claimed it was all correct for 63 and it wasn't.

Some of there original FORD Tooling items are good but I find since they were bought by Ecklers, the service level and tech support is lacking. Years ago you could get a skilled tech to walk you through various applications and cross-model suitability. Now it's corporate 101 with no intelligent input.

Mark K

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:46 am 
O15-15
O15-15

Mike - My issue is with the deceptive advertisement of an "as original product" and shipping what I view as an inferior, not as advertised product, ordering from one vendor, getting my order from another, and having yet a third entity address my complaint. I don't have a problem with vendor's who represent themselves in a transparent manner, nor do I have an issue with drop shipping from the manufacturer, but that was not my experience in this case. I could have ordered the exact same product sold to me by Dearborn/MACs/Ecklers for less money from Stock Interiors (http://www.stockinteriors.com/Windlace. ... odelId=193) but it did not have the Kraft edging. I chose Dearborn/MACs/Ecklers because the description specifically states it is Kraft edged, just like the original. To have customer service tell me it's non-refundable but they will make an exception in my case because I was dissatisfied, not because their advertising is wrong, doesn't work for me. Had they apologized for the misleading description, told me they would correct it, offered to pay return shipping and refund my money, I would feel different. That's how it should have been handled. Instead, I have to pay to return the item due to their error, not mine. I stand by my poor rating and will NOT patronize this vendor family in the future.

ASE Re-Certified Master Collision & Refinishing Technician

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:49 pm 
O3-13
O3-13

poor. sent crap sunvisors then pulled my review. they need to step up the game.

http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g34 ... tw0dib.jpg

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:18 am 
O8-15
O8-15

Dearborn Classics has become the vender of last resort for me.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:31 pm 
O11-16
O11-16

I think a lot of people feel that Dearborn was much better before it was bought out by Ecklers and moved to Florida.

Steve Tontz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:30 pm 
O11-16
O11-16

I for one can agree with that. Ecklers is a GM oriented company who know nothing about fords and could care less. Dearborn has gone to pot, pardon the phase.
Ron

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:07 pm 
O12-16
O12-16

I don't have an opinion one way or the other but we need to be aware there are a couple of dedicated Falcon guys in Florida working with Eckler's on reproduction parts. If you've seen the reproduction 14" wire wheel covers, you know the quality of the project. I suspect, more parts are coming and the quality will be just as good if our Falcon friends have any say in the matter.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:39 am 
F-6
F-6

I am going to run against the grain a bit. I have not had any issues with them or the parts I have ordered. Mostly it has been the rubber based seals all over the car as mine are no longer there and what is there has turned so brittle they shatter if I look at them wrong.

So far, so good.