It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:53 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Once again I'll warn against posting your email address in the forums and / or having your profile set to allow people to send you email other than PMs.

Reason being that spammers can pick out your emails in the forums and start spamming you or selling your email address to others for them to spam you. You are far better off using the PM option of the forums because it doesn't allow non members to PM you and your email address isn't readily available for spam bots and the like to pick out your email addresses.

I think you should be able to see what I'm talking about by the note at the bottom of the forums saying:

Most users ever online was 95 on 10 Dec 2005 07:50 am

Needless to say there were not 95 members online at one time. The largest portion of that count would have been MS's bot, Google's bot, Yahoo's bot and a few dozen other search engines that scan the forums almost daily. In this case it looks like several may have been scanning the forums at one time. Spam bots are also used to pick out email addresses so you are asking for spam just by making your email address available for them to take.

From what I've heard the major search engines are able to get around forum permissions to scan in messages for inclusion in their search engine. (According to Google) I have decided to open the forums up as far as Read Only to the general public so now anyone on the net can read messages they just can't post without being a member and being logged in.

Its your email address though so do as you will. Just keep in mind when you get overrun by spam you have been repeatedly warned here! IF you want to post your email addresses in your messages then it would be far better to do it something like:

your_address @ whatever.com Space between the @ and actual address. That could help and then say to remove the spaces to email you. Also replacing the @ with a & would work IF you post to replace the & with @ to email you.

But Facebook Sucks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:05 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Looks like wacovia.com is now using a bot to. Today there were about 35 instances of their bot crawling the forums. Now what info might a bank be looking for? :roll: (it is a bank isn't it?)

Sure does slow down the forums when all of this is going on!

But Facebook Sucks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:42 pm 
o-7-8
o-7-8

David,

Tried to delete mine and it keeps telling me 'email address invalid' so will try again tomorrow. Thought I had already done it - oh, the failing memory.

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:00 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Jim wrote:
David,

Tried to delete mine and it keeps telling me 'email address invalid' so will try again tomorrow. Thought I had already done it - oh, the failing memory.

Jim

Jim, I'm not talking about deleting the email address in your Profile or even changing it. If you did that the forum software would lock you out.

What I'm talking about is in your profile where it says Always show my e-mail address: you would click on No and save your profile. That would hide the link to allow people to click on Email and gain your email address.

But Facebook Sucks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:09 am 
O4-13
O4-13

I see what you mean now Dave. I just posted some adds with my email cause I figured it was better than a phone number. I wont next time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:22 am 
F-3
F-3

I have seen people do it like this too= Me_ you AT yourdomain.com this way again it wont read it as a e-mail yes?